Last year, at ISA Automation Week in Mobile, Alabama, automation and controls expert Greg McMillan successfully launched the ISA Mentor Program and shared his knowledge with ten protégés. Each of the program participants will present a paper and/or participate in an ISA Mentor Program Panel session at ISA Automation Week, 24-27 September 2012 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida.
This year, in addition to the existing ten ISA protégés, Greg McMillan will mentor four (4) new end users in the process industry for a period of twelve (12) months. The first kick-off meeting will be held on 24 September 2012 at ISA Automation Week in Orlando, FL.
Experience is often the best teacher, and learning about process automation one-on-one from an expert in your field can save you time and money, increase your job satisfaction, and help fast-track your career. The availability of a knowledgeable resource to go to with your questions and concerns is invaluable. Mentorship will yield the kind of hard-to-find insider information that will benefit you in your process automation and control career for years to come.
The mentorship period extends from 1 October 2012 to 1 October 2013 and may be terminated at any time by any party.
Successful candidates will receive:
- A copy of Greg McMillan’s upcoming book to be published by ISA and titled, 101 Tips for a Successful Automation Career
- Email communication regularly with Greg McMillan following the initial meeting at ISA Automation Week 2012. Guidance from Greg will be in terms of concepts, principles, strategies, and resources. Conversations will not delve into instrumentation and process control details in order to avoid discussing specific automation suppliers and/or proprietary process information. All conversations will be confidential. However, participants are encouraged to share in posts on the ISA Interchange website questions and answers of general interest that have no proprietary or application-specific information (see the question and answer example on ISA Interchange).
- An interview with Greg McMillan for an article to be published in InTech magazine at the conclusion of the program.
- High-profile opportunity to present a paper at a premier technical conference, ISA Automation Week 2013.
Qualifications for Applicants:
- Must be an automation engineer currently working as an end user in the process industry
- Must have at least 2 years of experience working in a process plant
- Must attend ISA Automation Week 2012
- Must commit to delivering a paper at ISA Automation Week 2013 based on the learning experience, results, and views gained through this program.
- Cost of attending ISA Automation Week 2012 and ISA Automation Week 2013 is to be paid by the mentored engineer and/or his/her employer.
If you are interested in the opportunity to be mentored by Greg McMillan, please send your resume to email@example.com by 20 August 2012.